The boom in the biotechnology sector in India has given a boost to the professional courses like clinical research. This article talks about the job opportunities and different career options in the rapidly growing field.
What is Clinical Research?
It is a stream of medical science that involves the study of effectiveness and application of diagnostic devices, medication and devices required for human use.
Scope of Clinical Research in India
Clinical research in India is emerging as a lucrative and popular career option among young students willing to seek a career in healthcare industry. India has always been a hot destination for clinical trials being the originator of Allopath, Homeopath, Unani and Ayurveda. There are a wide range of fields that apply the knowledge of clinical researchers such as Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO), Site Management Office, and Clinical Research Organizations. The profession can open several doors of lucrative job possibilities. This is the reason to why more students are seeking admission to colleges that offer education in clinical research.
The job opportunities for clinical researchers are wide. The leading Indian pharmaceutical companies such as Merck, Dabur, Dr. Reddy’s Lab, Ranbaxy, and Biocon are the major recruiters of these professionals.
Colleges and Courses
The candidates interested in pursuing a course in clinical research can find several reputed institutions. These colleges offer a wide range of certificate, diploma, and degree courses in the field. Some of the reputed colleges include:
- Institute of Clinical Research, Bangalore offers 2 years full-time PG Degree in Clinical Data Management.
- ICBio Clinical Research, Bangalore offers 2 years M. Sc. program in Clinical Research.
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune offers M. Sc. Medical Technology program.
- Indian Institute of Public Health, Delhi offers 5 years Integrated M. Sc. and PhD in Clinical Research.
- The Indian Institute of Business Management and Studies, Chennai offers 1 year advanced diploma in Clinical Management.
Some other institutes that offer clinical research courses include Biosphere Clinical Research Institute (Mumbai), EpiNous Clinical Research Institute (Pune), NOMAD Life Sciences (Hyderabad), and Oasis Institute of Health Science & Research Center, Pune.
With the introduction of new drugs and products by pharmaceutical industry across the globe, the need has emerged for shifting the attention from pre-clinical research and development to the clinical trial techniques at a much broader level. Thus, the industry witnesses the burgeoning demand for skilled professionals in the field.
The aspiring candidate can find several competitive fields in the respective profession. Some of the popular career options include Quality Assurance, Clinical Research Associate, Project Managers, and Clinical Data Manager.
Let’s take a look at each one of them.
The role of a quality assurance is of prime importance in biotechnology industry. These professionals are involved in the validation procedure of the different clinical trial procedures. The job role is to ensure the stability, accuracy and efficiency of the end products. In order to seek career in the field, the candidate does not mandatorily need education in science background. It is open for students belonging to other streams such as IT, engineering, business management or commerce.
- Ensure proper implementation of clinical, manufacturing and laboratory practices as per the employer’s need.
- Ensure timely completion of Quality Assurance procedure and related duties.
- Management of packaging and manufacturing processes.
Clinical Research Associate (CRA)
Also known as Research Monitor or Clinical Coordinator, this job role is one of the most popular career options in the field. As CRA, the candidate is responsible for managing different research projects in popular fields like business, advocacy and clinical science. The qualification required is a degree in medical sciences and life sciences from a recognized institution.
- CRA is responsible for managing clinical trials and research studies.
- Validating patient’s information in Case Report Forms (CRFs).
- Maintain the required database for research work.
- Prepare research report from time to time.
Project Manager and Marketing Professional
The role of a project manager is to ensure that the drug manufactured is effective and safe. The professional aims at providing the cost-effective methods of disease management. The minimum qualification required is a degree in Economics, Commerce or Business Administration. Computer literacy and prior work experience in pharmaceutical industry is an added advantage. The aspiring candidate should possess interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Monitor the successful completion of the project allotted.
- Manage risk evaluation, project planning and customer requirements.
- Maintain database for regulatory approvals, CRAs appointments, data quality and patient numbers.
- Validating drug manufacturing, estimating budget and printing CRF.
Clinical Data Manager
This job role involves maintaining the confidentiality and accuracy of data. Clinical Data Manager is responsible for collecting data from different reliable sources involving clinical trials. The candidate should hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree in medical sciences, life sciences, computer science, statistics or mathematics. Candidates with prior experience in data entry and knowledge of MS Word, Access, Oracle, Power Point and SAS are preferred.
- Preparing statistical reports
- Coding and summarizing data for operational work.
- Reviewing, updating and validating safety codes.
Clinical research is, undoubtedly a flourishing industry in India. The burgeoning job possibilities in the field are attracting more students to seek a career in it. The right education, training and skills in the industry can do wonders in your career path!