Self-publishing is increasingly being undertaken by book authors. Whether you are doing this as a last refuge (since too many publishers rejected your work), out of your desire to be versatile and capable of handling too many tasks (some people like to juggle with a lot of activities at a time; maybe that way they gain work satisfaction), or out of your controlling nature (control freaks don’t like someone else dictating terms for them be in publishing), self-publishing is not a bad idea at all.
When you publish your book yourself, you need to market it well too, even better. This is because self-publishing will not put you in the league of professional authors owing to the common mindset of people that self-publishing is an area of amateurish writers. But, that is not always the case; you can prove that using appropriate publishing techniques and marketing tools.
Even a good author can opt for self-publishing, but he must do so in the most intricate manner. Thinking that merely writing good content will fetch you buyers in millions is a grave mistake. Many good writers couldn’t become authors due to the very reason that they were not market-savvy. They did not apply good promotional tactics to get their book across the shelves.
Self-publishers have to apply their own minds while devising marketing strategies. Since most work falls in the ‘self’ domain, there’s a lot of work for self-publishers before their book finally reaches to the readers. Every step is important; faring well for a certain time at a certain stage and then sitting content will only bring you more failures. An alert eye, sound judgment, and off course, fantastic creativity in developing titles, content, cover page, layout, and other technical aspects will get you far in this industry.
How to Market a Self-published Book?
- Planning is Paramount : Since you are doing everything yourself, you have to chalk out everything in advance down to the basic details. You cannot have a vague idea in your mind regarding a certain promotional activity that you wish to undertake. Going ahead without a proper plan is bound to throw your off-kilter. Put aside a budget for advertising if need be. Make a list of all the activities you want to undertake as part of your marketing plan.
- Online Marketing : Online marketing has a lot of scope, and the advantage is that anybody can do it. Use blogs, social media tools, Yahoo answers, eBook retailers, free eBook websites, and all that you can imagine as an effective method of promoting your book online.
- Reviews Add Credibility : For a self-published author, gaining the confidence of readers is a big challenge. To grant an angle of impartiality to your book, ask for as many reviews as possible for your free eBook. When you do so, you involve an independent party who isn’t influenced by your personal views about your book and will be free to write whatever they feel is right.
- Free EBooks : Expecting people to buy a self-published book is like a far-fetched fantasy. When people don’t know you, they won’t trust your book to be good. To break this barrier of suspicion, you need to give them an attractive offer like free eBooks. Once your first few copies are sold and you garner enough reviews, you will already be known enough so that people talk about it and spread the news. The rest will be taken care of.
- Self-Publishing Companies : Self-publishing doesn’t mean you have to start designing your cover page using Photoshop or invest in a small printing press machine and print copies of your book on your own, but it only means the decision-making part is yours. You can let the self publishing companies do the implementation part. And they don’t meddle with your rights too. You own them all.
- Social Media : Social media has the capability to spread your word faster than none. Social media is addictive, and you have the maximum chance of promoting your eBook in the most efficient and desirable way through the social media. Active networking is crucial to promoting your book on social media like Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, and others.