I am a big fan of Microsoft Windows XP Professional operating system for its simplicity, ease of use and compatibility with most of the software available.
After updating my Windows XP SP3 operating system, I noticed a problem. Moving or Copying files by drag and drop was not working in Windows Explorer as well as Desktop. However, cutting and pasting was working as usual.
I use drag and drop very often as it saves time for me, so I was worried. Here is how I fixed the problem. The following solution is working on my PC, I can’t guarantee that it will work for you too. So, it’s better to try and see. Lets begin :-
STEP 1 :
- First of all check if Drag and Drop is enabled in Start Properties. For this right click on and select Properties. In Start Menu tab click Customize and go to Advanced tab. See if Enable dragging and dropping is tick marked. If not do so. Afterwards, the drag and drop will function as usual.
- If Enable dragging and dropping is already checked but drag and drop is still not working, then move to STEP 2.
STEP 2 :
- Click and click run. Type regedit and hit enter to open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet Settings/Zones/4
- Look for an entry titled 180D. If it is not there then you will have to create it. For this, right click on any blank space on the window and do New -> DWORD Value and hit enter. In the Value data put 0 and keep Base to be Hexadecimal.
- Click OK and close registry Editor.
Your drag and drop feature should be functioning now without an issue. No need to restart your PC.
If it worked for you? Let me know in the comments section. 🙂