The manufacturer of economic smartphones Lava Mobile has recently launched in Indian market its mobile handset A16 of its unbreakable series phones.
The phone was launched with the popular youth TV channel MTV, which has helped Lava in the style and design of the handset model.
Today’s youth is a lot more fashionable. Lava understands this very well. So, its new product Lava A16 has styles as well as youth oriented features. This product is mainly targeted to attract the young generation.
The main features of Lava A16 mobile are :
- It can withstand extremely rough uses. The Lava A16 mobile can sustain a load of up to 120 Kg.
- The phone in its software has some extra privacy settings which can be used to make SMSes and Photos password lockable.
- It has diamond cut back, a large number of in-built themes and wallpapers and has animated graphical user interface.
- Lava A16 has a 3.2 megapixel camera with Lomo effect and Omni BSI technology.
- It has a high quality video player and Yamaha PA system for the MTV music generation. For a full bass 3D music effect, it has SRS WOW HD.
- Mobile Tracker facility is included in this model.
- It has 2.6 inch IPS screen for quality resolution and bright display.
- It has smart controls for music and auto-call recorder.
- It has dual-SIM capability, a USB port and a powerful Li-on 900mAh battery.
- The mobile is equipped with social networking applications such as facebook.
- Lava A16 mobile is priced in the range of INR 4,000-5,000.
- The phone is Java enabled and supports up to 32GB memory with 2000 phone-book memory and 2000 messages.
- Lava A16 is only available in white color. So, no more choice available for the buyer.
- The audio jack is not standard 3.5mm.
Marketing Strategy :
The company expects to sale about five-six lakh units up to March 2012.
The phone was developed at a cost of $4.5 million at Lava research and development centre in China. The handset would be imported from Lava’s production unit in China. The company is in search of a location to establish its manufacturing unit in India.
Lava at the end of March 2012, will launch another product in marketing association with MTV.
Sunil Raina, chief marketing officer, Lava International was available for comments on the launch of Lava A16 model in New Delhi. He said to reporters:
With Lava A16, the days of boring black or silver mobile phones are over as the consumers will now have the ability to show off their phone as a stylish fashion accessory. The phone offers great consumer value without compromise and, we hope, it will definitely appeal to young executives and college goers who want to be a part of the new revolution.
As a strategy, the phone is targeted to capture the fast-growing youth market. This is a niche phone product for us.
The software component has been sourced from India, but the physical structure and styling has been developed at our R&D centre in China in a period of seven months.
Overall, we expect the sale to be around 1.5 million for the next three quarters. For the next quarter it should be around five-six lakh units.
Going forward we will launch another phone with MTV. Currently, there is no revenue sharing between us, just mutual benefits arising out of individual strengths. But going forward there may be some sought of revenue sharing arrangement.
We are currently in an exploratory stage here, we are looking at sites where there is going to be or is component investment.
On the launch of Lava A16, S. N. Rai, Director of Lava International Ltd., said:
Consumers are a fragmented lot, either they are considered to be tech-leaders, tech-savvy users or they primarily use their phones to stay connected and look good while doing so. We felt there was a definite gap in the market for mobile phones that cater to both ends of this scale. And this prompted us to launch Lava A16 that combines elegance and technology.
The Vice-President of Viacom Brand Solutions, Sales & International Business, Viacom18 Media Pvt. Ltd., Jaideep Singh said:
Mobile phone is one of the most significant categories in the youth space and its relevance has exceeded beyond the simple need to communicate. It’s today an extension of user’s personality and style quotient. We’re excited to tie-up with Lava Mobiles to add more style in the lives of our consumers.
Expert’s Review :
The TV program Cell Guru aired on NDTV Profit has provided a very nice review of Lava A16 MTV Mobile. You can watch it here :
Lava is planning to introduce its tablets in Indian market by end of March 2012. The company is in final deals with mobile service operators.
Lava tablet is expected to be priced between INR 5,000-6,000.