Google has boosted a major update to its Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Operating System. This update was done on October 29, 2012 and is called Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean). The previous minor update 4.1.2 was made on October 9, 2012.
With Android 4.2, Google has done several improvements on its Operating System. Android has evolved as an extremely popular Operating System for handheld devices. It is powering more than 500 Million gadgets worldwide.
Here looks into several new features that the most recent update has brought :
- Photo Sphere Panorama Photos : This tool creates 360 degree 3D images in high resolution. The images are very similar to Google Map’s Street View.
- Keyboard Gesture Typing : It’s a speed typing software similar to those found in mo, Keyboard Gesture Typing, Daydream Screensaver, Wireless Display Miracast, Multiple Userbile phones. It tries to best guess the words you are going to type based on initial few letters.
- Daydream Screensaver : When the device is idle for specified period of time, it shows your favorite photos or can show latest news from Google Currents.
- Wireless Display (Miracast) : Now you can see your Android device in a bigger screen. You can wirelessly connect your device to any Miracast-compatible HDTV. You can plug a wireless display adapter to any HDMI-enabled TV or Monitor to enjoy wire-free connectivity on bigger screen.
- Multiple User Accounts (Only for Tablets) : This features was awaited a lot. With this feature, multiples profiles can be created on a single device. So, each person using the gadget can have their own personal account with customized homescreen, background wallpapers, apps, gadgets and games.
- Better Lockscreen : Widgets can be shown on Lockscreen. Android 4.2 has facility to swipe directly to camera.
- Improved Clock App : Android 4.2 has improved clock app with World Clock, Timer and Stopwatch.
- Better Accessibility : The new OS has Speech Output and Gesture Mode Navigation for Blinds. Other new features include Pan and Zoom with Two Fingers, Triple-Tap to enlarge the screen-view. Sharing photos, videos, web-links, contacts etc. has become more easy with a single tap.
- Notification Power Controls : Now you’ll have greater control over system notifications with Android 4.2. Several annoying notifications can be turned off.
- Single Interface Layout : Regardless of screen size now every Android 4.2 Jelly Bean device will have similar interface. System bar at top, central buttons for softwares and homescreen will be all similar.
- Extended Configurable Notifications : In the improved version there are more number of visual as well as clickable notifications. The good thing is that the notifications can be responded within the notification area without launching the app.
- Latest Version of Google Now : Android 4.2 has latest version of Google Now which is an intelligent personal assistant. It can fetch you information that you need on daily basis like weather, restaurants, sports scores, news updates, flights concerts and much more etc.
- Improved Battery Life : Android devices are known to have worst battery lives. The latest Android version is a little improved in terms of battery life with improved power management. The device turns it down intelligently when you are not using it.