If you are wondering whether to buy a smartphone or a tablet then Samsung Galaxy Note might be the best option for you. The design of Samsung Galaxy Note has been done in such a way that it falls right between a smartphone and a tablet, offering the functionality of both.
The dimension of Galaxy Note is 146.85 mm x 82.95 mm x 9.65 mm, which makes it thinner than most smartphones in the market. Despite of a big 5.3 inch display, the device weighs just 178 grams. It is really commendable on Samsung’s part to have built such a sleek and stylish device that is both light and slim.
The front has only a Samsung logo and a home screen button apart from a 2 megapixel camera and light sensor, which are not clearly visible on the black model. On the left side there is a volume rocker. The 3.5 mm headphone jack is at the top, while the power lock-unlock button is on the right side. Samsung has provided a micro USB charging slot at the bottom of Galaxy Note.
The Samsung Galaxy Note is integrated with an 8 megapixel camera on its rear with LED flash. It is located in the centre – exactly the way it is on the Galaxy S2. The loudspeaker is placed at the rear bottom. The 8 megapixel camera of Galaxy Note is capable of recording 1080p full HD videos at 30 fps (frames per second), but the drawback with the rear camera is that it has glass covering, which makes the camera prone to scratches.
Hardware, Software and Multimedia
To power this massive device, Samsung has used a dual core 1.4 GHz Exynos microprocessor with a Mali-400 megapixel graphics chip. The Galaxy Note also features 1 GB of RAM along with 16 GB on board storage memory. It makes the Samsung Galaxy Note ideal for gamers and those of us to like to watch good quality video.
On the software front, Galaxy Note is using Android 2.3 operating system. On top of Android, the Galaxy Note was running Samsung’s TouchWiz 4.0 interface. TouchWiz 4.0 interface is almost identical to the version on the Galaxy S2 though instead of 4 icons in a row, there are five in Galaxy Note.
To access notification and the shortcut menu for accessing Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, sound and auto-rotate functionality, one just needs to pull the Android notification bar from the top of the screen. A 2,500 mAh battery in Samsung Galaxy Note with average usage can sail through the day without recharging. The device has ample connectivity options in the form of Wi-Fi, HSPA+ and even Bluetooth 3.0.
As far as its display is concerned it has a massive 5.3 inch, Super Amoled HD display, with a magnificent 800 x 1280 pixel resolution at 285 ppi pixel density making visuals as detailed as possible without any signs of pixilation. Visibility in sunlight is excellent. The size of the display makes it really great for activities such as video playback, web browsing, editing notes and creating presentations. While reviewing it, there were times when I completely forgot my laptop.
Samsung has also added a new category, S Choice in the Samsung Apps that features apps that are designed for the Galaxy Note S Pen. There are pre-installed Chat-on Messaging app and S Planner planning tool that integrates with the phone’s To-do tool.
Certainly the great verdict associated with the Samsung Galaxy Note is its price itself. The Galaxy Note is priced at almost INR 33,000 which may be a big hindrance for many buyers. But apart from the price factor, Galaxy Note is a good device in terms of specification and performance.
- HSPA+ up to 21Mbps 850/900/1900/2100
- 4G LTE
- EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/190
- 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor
- 5.3” WXGA (1280 x 800) screen
- HD Super AMOLED
- 1080p Full HD video recording and playback
- Recording : 1080p@24~30fps/
- Playback : 1080p@30fps
- Codec : MPEG4 / H.263 / H.264 / DivX, WMV, VC-
- Codec : MP3, AAC, AMR, WMA, WAV, FLAC, OGG
- Music Player with SoundAlive
- 3.5 mm Standard Ear Jack, Stereo FM Radio with RDS1
- Bluetooth® technology v 3.0 + HS
- USB 2.0 HOST
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Main (Rear) : 8 MP with LED Flash / Front : 2 MP
- Action Shot, Beauty, Panorama Shot, Smile Shot
- Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity, Barometer, Light
- 16 GB Internal Memory
- microSD (up to 32GB)
- 146.85 mm x 82.95 mm x 9.65 mm
- Weight : 178 g
- Standard battery, Li-on 2500 mAh
- Samsung TouchWiz / Samsung Live Panel UX
- S Memo / S Planner / S Choice (Apps for GALAXY Note)
- Samsung Apps
- Samsung kies 2.0 / Samsung kies air
- Social Hub, Readers Hub, Music Hub
- Google™ Mobile Services : Gmail™ and Google Talk™
- Google Search™, YouTube™, Android™ Market
- Google Maps™ with Google Places™ and Google Latitude™