If you are thinking of it as a replacement for your laptop, then it may not be a good idea, but it will definitely take over many functions of your laptop and a great companion. The fact that there are so many applications available on Apple’s online store gives it the versatility to cater to a lot of requirements. The latest edition is definitely slimmer, lighter and more powerful than the first one, and works as a great companion to laptops.
Apple iPad 2 has 1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex processor, 512 MB RAM, and iOS 4 installed on it. This configuration ensures that you don’t see any dip in performance even if you’ve opened 10 applications on it. iPad 2 has a 9.7” display with resolution of 768 x 1024 pixels, which is just like any other Apple product screen, is bright, clear, and a pleasure to work on. It is said to have a fingerprint and scratch resistant screen. The responsiveness of the touch screen remains good as ever. Wi-Fi works great, and connects very quickly to a nearby network. The 3G edition of iPad 2 only accepts a micro-SIM card.
Sound output from the iPad 2 is loud and clear, but it lacks HDMI and USB ports, which limits some of its functionality and makes life a little inconvenient. For instance you can’t plug-in a USB flash drive or external hard drive to transfer data. The only way to transfer data is to connect it to your PC or laptop with a USB cable. We also missed having a VGA-out port, so if you want to connect it to a projector to display presentations, you’ll have to purchase a separate adaptor for the job.
The iPad 2 has two cameras – one at the rear that also supports HD up to 30 fps and the one on the front for video conferencing, which is a VGA camera. Video capture quality is average, and photographs aren’t very clear if taken indoors with insufficient lighting.
Salient Features of Apple iPad 2
- Dimensions (H x W x D) : 241.2 mm × 185.7 mm × 8.8 mm
- Weight : 601 gm or 1.33 pounds
- Storage : 16 GB / 32 GB / 64 GB
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR Technology
- 3G : UMTS / HSDPA / HSUPA, Quad Band GSM / EDGE
- Digital Compass
- Sensors : Three-Axis Gyro, Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor
- GPS with A-GPS
- 9.7” LED-Back-Lit
- Multi-Touch Display with IPS Technology
- 1024 × 768 Resolution
- Processor : 1 GHz Dual-Core Apple A5 Processor
- Camera : 5 MP Rear and Front VGA
- HD Video Player and Audio Player
- Up to 10 Hrs. of Surfing the Web on Wi-Fi
- Up to 9 Hrs. of Surfing the Web using 3G Data Network
- Charging via Power Adapter or USB to Computer System
- Standard 3.5 mm Stereo Headphone Jack
- Built-in Speaker
- Micro-SIM Card Tray (Wi-Fi + 3G Model)