Shortcut-icons are a convenient and easy way to open your favourite application or favourite folder.
Although Window 7 lets you to pin programs and individual files to the taskbar, it does not allow you to pin a folder. But you can use another lightning-fast way to access a favourite folder, by setting up a keyboard shortcut. Here is how :
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder (Let’s call it ‘My Folder’).
- Right click on the folder and choose send to Desktop (create shortcut).
- Minimize all open windows and find the newly created shortcut icon in your Desktop. The item will have the name ‘My Folder-shortcut’.
- Right click on the shortcut icon and, in the resulting menu, choose Properties.
- In the Shortcut tab, click inside ‘the shortcut key’ field (It will have the word ‘None’).
- Now you have to decide what keyboard shortcut you want to assign. Just by giving one example here let’s go with ctrl+shift+H. With your cursor in the ‘shortcut key’ field, press that combination, and you’ll see it appears there.
- Finally, click OK to complete these steps.
Now whenever you press ctrl+shift+H, even when you are using another program, your folder will appear magically. You can use this method to quick-launch favourite apps as well. Right-click a Desktop shortcut and repeat the process.